Every business organization is trying to modernize its business processes with the help of advanced technologies. Cloud computing has proven to be the basic building block when it comes to implementing these advanced technologies.
Organizations are gradually migrating their on-premises workloads to the cloud. While doing so, Cloud security is always their prime concern during and after the Cloud Migration.
Cloud security depends upon many factors and it is implemented at various layers right from at user access points, application, database, and network layers. Security is also not a one-time activity but a continuous process of improvement with continuous monitoring and real-time alarms and notifications
Four Essential Characteristics of Cloud Security Model
As the Industries are rapidly adapting cloud computing services, Cloud services providers are also building customized cloud solutions to improve the one-demand model to address the IT security requirements.
- Shared Responsibility Model
It’s the responsibility of the Cloud service provider to create the security model for infrastructure related components like data-centers & physical servers, while the Customer has to take care of the security for software related components like operating systems, databases, and applications. Similarly, Cloud services providers handle the responsibility to maintain and fix the infrastructure while customers have to apply OS, application, and database-level patches.
- Security of the Cloud essentially means the Cloud Services Provider design their solutions to handle the security aspect of the global infrastructure. In addition to that cloud providers are also responsible for the security configuration of the its Cloud Managed Services Products be it Servers,Databases and OS configurations.
- Cloud Security with Automation
Besides implementing the Cloud security protocols at the infrastructure and software level manually, Cloud provides customers with security tools to allow them to automate the process and routine activities. Security with automation eliminates the human interventions and minimizes the chances of any human errors.
- Cloud services providers use security automation to bring more business agility and responsive features to make it easy for them to create a self-sufficient security ecosystem according to various industry practices and regulations.
- eCloudChain provides a robust automated infrastructure monitoring solution with real time security alarms and notification.The infrastructure monitoring not only helps to improve the security protocols but also provides continuous cost-management control of the underlying infrastructure.
- Cloud Security with Third Party Products
In addition to the security provided by the Cloud provider, customers can access hundreds of industry-leading products. These security products can be deployed to achieve the desired security protocols.
- A more comprehensive security architecture can be achieved by using the security automation provided by Alert Logic,Symantec,Splunk and many more.
- Cloud Security with Regulation
Globally there are many compliance programs that provide customer assurance of Security in/of the Cloud. GDPR(General Data Protection Regulation),CSA(Cloud Security Alliance),ISO 27017(Cloud specific controls),ISO 27018(Personal Data Protection),PCI DSS level1(Payment Card Standards), HIPAA(Protected health, Information), FISMA(Federal Information Security Management) and SOC1, SOC2, SOC3 ( System and Organization Control ) are few of them that any cloud services provider needs to abide by in order to provide the cloud security protocols.
GDPR has fundamentally transformed how data security has to be handled.There are strict financial and business implications in case of violation of these GDPR compliance guidelines.
- GDPR essentially governs how the personal data must be collected and handled
- Personal data needs to be erased in order to comply with GDPR regulations
- GDPR guidelines step by step defines the data security requirements.It explains what companies must do to meet data transparency and privacy rights.